Sunday, January 16, 2011

Prohibition

It is Sunday, and school starts on Tuesday for me. I’m enjoying my last day off (I work tomorrow) before I go back to school. And what better way to spend it than to watch the Bears Seattle game and blog? As an added bonus, Chicago is winning, which is always good (but may I note I am a Broncos fan first and foremost.)

Two amendments in the United States Constitution don’t do much more than cancel one another. Amendment 18 to the Constitution regards the infamous Prohibition. Prohibition came at a time when the country was changing and reforming many of the problems in government and with society.

On January 16, 1919, the 18th Amendment was passed. Prohibition had been a powerful force in America during the 1800s. These societies, known as temperance societies, consisted of people concerned with how alcohol affected society. The Woman’s Christian Temperance Union, founded in 1873, made Prohibition a political issue and advocated for complete Prohibition of alcohol, not moderation or temperance.

After ignoring the issue in the 1916 election, Congress met and passed the 18th Amendment. At the same time WWI was being fought in Europe. Many German and Irish immigrants were streaming into the United States, both of whom were Catholics in a predominantly Protestant country. One could say Prohibition went in conjunction with the rise of the second KKK, which focused on anti immigration issues.

Prohibition lasted for 14 years before it was repealed with the 21st Amendment. During that time the country faced several problems with bootleggers and Moonshine. In addition, vineyards were allowed to continue producing wine, and many people stockpiled wine for later since the consumption of alcohol was not prohibited, rather the sale was. Chicago became a heaven for those importing alcohol, and many gangsters like Al Capone made millions off the sale of alcohol during the 1920s.

The effects of Prohibition are still seen today, mainly with the sport NASCAR. NASCAR began when different bootleggers were bragging about how fast they raced away from the police. Soon enough these different men decided the only way to truly determine who was fastest was to race. Thus, NASCAR was born.

So that is my blog for this week. I will try my hardest to update next week, but with school starting I actually have a crazy week ahead of me. I need to work and start on my schoolwork; I already know my capstone and one history class will be very demanding. I wish everyone a good week and Happy History!

1 comment: