Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Hamakhtesh



In southern Israel there are three large areas that have been carved out of the landscape. They are called hamakhtesh, or bowls in English. Five of the seven across the world are located in Israel.

The landscape of the hamakhtesh was carved out of the land, leaving behind only the different colors of the different levels. It is beautiful to observe.



The south is a harsh location, and it takes a keen observer to see the beauty. The colors of the landscape change each hour due to the sunlight. But in this location the colors are evident regardless of the sun. It is spectacular.

My south trip was one of my less documented trips because my camera ran out of battery. Luckily, I had a wonderful photographer, Miss Madeleine Tappy, accompanying me on this trip, and she graciously gave me her photos. I credit her with every breathtaking image included in this post. And if you like what you see, check her website out at http://myphotoscopes.com/



As a final consideration, these pictures (even with Madeline’s fantastic skills) do not do the location justice. It is something you need to see with your own eyes; I realized this is something I often do not do, instead looking through a camera monitor. Running out of batteries was actually good; it helped me see my surroundings with my eyes, instead of through a camera screen.





No comments:

Post a Comment